Wednesday 4 May 2011

WICKED

You will not be surprised to learn that my next entry is about another musical. I have model myself on the main character from this musical -  yes, those that know me are shouting  "Wicked!" -  although my complexion is slightly less green. I had the great thrill of being taken to see this dream of a show in January by some very special friends who don't resemble flying monkeys...well not much! For those who don't know WICKED is the prequel to "The Wizard of Oz." It is the story of how the wicked witch became wicked and is based on the book by Gregory Maguire. The production I saw stared Rachel Tucker as Elphaba the wicked witch. For those that watched the BBC's I'D DO ANYTHING, Rachel was a runner up for the role of Nancy (another role I was born to play as I've been a Nancy all my life). Rachel shines in the part and her rendition of "Defying Gravity" made my whole body quiver with excitement - the first time a woman has ever done that for me.The Beautiful Louise Dearman as Glinda, her friend and sweetheart of the university, has great comic timing and a truly melodic voice. Lee Mead, my fellow Essexer,  plays the romantic lead in tight jodhpurs which he filled very nicely. His vocal and acting abilities lived up to his looks. The Sets by Eugene Lee are spellbinding. The Emerald City set is a feast off opulence and Glinda makes her Entrance in a mechanical bubble - what more could you want? The costumes designed by Susan Hilferty are both a feast of colour and originality. Glinda's shoe collection would make Imelda Marcos weep with envy. I suggest you put on your ruby slippers (I know you all own a pair) click the heals together and say "theres no place like the Apollo Victoria".

Click on THIS LINK to see the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment